Banana Zucchini Bread
A big fan of The Saffron Girl, her Banana Zucchini Bread recipe caught my eye a few weeks ago.
Having just got back from a successful Body Balance class which saw me fall over slightly less than normal, I was feeling like a real yogi and couldn’t face doing any university coursework just yet. I had a peruse in my cupboard for some lunch and faced with a shiny new bag of coconut flour, this recipe sprang to mind. Debra’s readers have had mixed success with the outcome due to it not setting so I fancied giving it a go. No one likes boring baking right…?
With a stash of ripe bananas and a fresh zucchini to hand I got to work. Egg free, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, grain free and paleo, this bread is suitable for so many diets and was so simple to make. Plus its really healthy which is always a bonus. The bananas added the sweetness while the zucchini and coconut flour gave it an amazing texture – almost soft cake like (which was delicious) and it actually turned out well; at least perfect for post yoga treat. Give it a go and see what you think!
- 1 1/2 cup mashed, ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional – I added cinnamon instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- In a large bowl, mix the bananas, coconut oil, orange zest, vanilla extract, and cardamom. With a hand beater, beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the sea salt and baking soda and incorporate well.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool before removing from loaf pan, and to cool completely before slicing.
Next time I think I’ll try adding raisins or walnuts just to add even more flavour like these suggestions from Isa, or chia seeds for an extra kick of superfood goodness. Ps. adding chocolate looks amazing too – get your inspiration from these here and these here mmmm.