Gluten Free Bread sticks
Sorry for my lack of posts over March, a 14,000 word final-year dissertation to write, an infinite number of mad job application send outs and three weeks of a flu virus alongside a course of antibiotics didn’t really make for the most chirpy or interesting read!
I am now feeling a bit more back on track however (wooo!) and after a busy few days in London I made these yesterday morning for a family lunch time snack. These are the easiest, tastiest, gluten and dairy free vegan bread sticks I’ve ever made, flavoured with just olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper. The recipe is from the wonderful Mel at Pig in the Kitchen and came in my March gluten and dairy free box from Crate of Nothing (another blog post to follow on how good that was later).
Please ignore the not-so-symmetrical shapes but my skills with a homemade piping bag aren’t the best – or the most patient…
You will need:
- 100g Cornflour
- 50g Potato flour
- 100g Brown rice flour
- 1 and a half tsp. dried yeast
- half a tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp sugar
- half a tsp salt
- 50g dairy free spread
- 180ml (approx). tepid water
- Preheat your oven to 190C and line a baking tray with some baking parchment – you may need two trays!
- Tip all of the flours into a large mixing bowl along with the yeast, xanthan gum, sugar and salt and mix well until everything is evenly distributed
- Pop the dairy free spread into the bowl and rub together until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Carefully add the tepid water to the mix (you may not need it all) until you have a thick mix – almost like a thick cake batter
- Beat everything together with a wooden spoon for around 1 minute to make sure all the ingredients are combined (and to get rid of any nasty lumps and bumps…)
- Next, take a big spoon and dollop some of the mix into a piping bag with a thin nozzle (5mm)
- Now, it’s time to get your piping skills on! Gently pipe the mix onto your baking trays in a long, smooth and simply elegant fashion
- Using a pastry brush (or your finger) carefully brush the surface of each stick with olive oil
- Season the sticks with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper then pop the lot into your oven
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown, then remove and allow to cool before serving